The Directorate of Government Examination (DGE) has clarified that all class X students will be promoted this year, irrespective of their marks in intermediate examination.
Chennai: The clarification came in an official statement by the Directorate of Government Examination (DGE) amid rising concerns over the government orders issued earlier announcing the cancellation of class 10 exams due to pandemic caused by the deadly coronavirus.
This order said, the marks would instead be calculated by giving 80% weightage to quarterly and half-yearly examination and the remaining 20% to the attendance.
In his letter to all the Chief Education Officers ( CEOs), on Friday, the DGE said while the earlier order had already explained how marks would be calculated, it had also considered promoting all its students of class 10, irrespective of the marks they obtain during the intermediate—quarterly and half-yearly examinations. The same would be applicable to class 11 students for the subjects for which the examination could not be conducted.
However, criticism over this letter began soon as the teacher’s association believed that many private schools do not maintain the exams records properly. Even, P.Patrick Raymond, General Secretary, TNGTF said calculating marks on the basis of intermediate examinations and attendance is not a good idea.
The teacher’s association of the state also demanded that the student’s performance should be evaluated in grades and not marks. As some students might not have done well in the quarterly exams, but have done better in the half-yearly exams, held closer to the end of the year, a statement by the teacher’s association of TN pointed out