The exam has been postponed for an indefinite period; New Exam dates will come out only after consultation with HRD and Home Ministry.
Jabalpur: The Consortium of National Law Universities has released a notification stating the cancellation of CLAT 2020 till further notice. The exam is postponed for the fourth time this year. The exam was scheduled to be conducted on August 22, 2020, but now been postponed for an indefinite period.
"Registration for the examination closed on 10 July 2020. The exam scheduled for 22 August has been postponed until further notice," said the statement.
On Tuesday, the Delhi High Court asked the Centre and the Consortium of National Law Universities (NLU), the organiser of CLAT exams, to reply to a law graduate's plea challenging the requirement of physically appearing at exam centre amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
The court issued notices to the central government and the NLU, seeking their stand by August 10 on the petition which has sought that the online CLAT exams be allowed to be undertaken from home.
The 22 participating NLUs in the order of their year of establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University, Orissa (NLUO)
- National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur
- Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad
- HP National Law University, Shimla
- Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur
- DR.B.R.Ambedkar National Law University, Haryana
CLAT stands for Common Law Admissions Test. It is an all India entrance examination conducted by the National Law Schools/Universities for admissions to their under-graduate and post-graduate degree programmes (LL.B & LL.M). The responsibility of conducting the exam is rotated and given based on seniority in the establishment.