Amid complaints about virtual classes, Karnataka government on Wednesday decided to end online classes for children from Kindergarten to class 5
Bengaluru: Due to constant complaints about the conduct of virtual classes, the Karnataka Government took a decision to put an end to virtual classes for children from KG to class 5. "Two decisions have been taken-online classes for LKG, UKG and primary classes should be stopped immediately. Also, collecting fees in the name of online classes should be stopped immediately," Primary and Secondary Education Minister S Suresh Kumar told the sources.
He also added, Several complaints have been received regarding online classes, and he held discussion with experts, a body of private educational institutions and officials about it, and everyone agreed to discontinue virtual classes.
Another agenda in the meeting was how to engage students during this period, with no clarity on reopening of schools.
So, a committee was formed under the leadership of Prof M K Sridhar to prepare guidelines on how to engage students and increase their knowledge, said the Minister.
Further stating that the government had already issued a circular asking educational institutions not to hike fees on humanitarian grounds considering financial constraints of several people due to the COVID-19 pandemic-induced lockdown, Mr Kumar said, if schools decide to reduce the fees amount, it will be a "very welcome move."
Before taking the decision he had consulted people from all walks of life, experts, representatives of political parties, the minister said.
"From June 25 to July 4, the exams will be held and safety of children is our utmost priority and we are taking all necessary steps in this regard.
Preparations for the exams are on in all districts, micro-level planning is being done," he said, adding that Health, Transport and Home Departments have joined hands with the Education department in this regard.
Class X exams cancelled in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry
In Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, 80% marks would be based on students' performance in quarterly and half yearly exams and the remaining 20% shall depend on their attendance. The exams for certain Class 11 subjects which could not be held earlier were also cancelled in both the states.
Chennai: More than nine lakh class 10 students in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry will be promoted without the board examination this year as the state government announced cancellation of twice-postponed annual exercise.
The cancelled exams, originally scheduled to begin from March 27 and first postponed to June 1 due to lockdown announced by CM K Paliniswami, bringing relief to parents and their wards during a pandemic.
The decision came a day after the Madras High Court said,” we cannot put the lives of 9 lakh students at risk.” and asked the state government to consider postponing exams in view of rising cases in the state.
In the neighbourhood, Union Territory of Puducherry, which does not have a separate education board and follows the Tamil Nadu state board syllabus and exam pattern, also followed suit and announced scrapping the examinations for its 16,000 odd Class 10 students for this year.
In both Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, 80 per cent marks would be based on students' performance in quarterly and half yearly exams and the remaining 20 per cent shall depend on their attendance.
The exams of class 11 subjects which could not be held earlier were also cancelled due toCovid-19 situation in both Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, and all students will be promoted to class 12.
"Considering the representation of parents, the present trend of virus spread and to protect students from the pathogen, board examinations scheduled for Class 10, and for subjects that could not be conducted for Class 11 are fully cancelled and students are declared promoted," Palaniswami said on TV.